Review: Viola-piano duet at Christ Church

A midweek concert in the middle of the week at 13h00 should be a quiet, scarcely attended affair. But not at Christ Church, where there were barely any seats empty earlier today to hear Ms. Hannah Borlase and Ms. Nadia Dotsiak play duets for almost two hours.

There is a much-needed warmth in the viola –that instrument that has some of the register of the cello but the portability of the violin– specially when handled by Ms. Borlase, whose list of accolades is so long that typing it all out might ruin my key-caps; if my keyboard managed to survive, Ms. Dotsiak's would certainly be the coup de grâce.

I particularly enjoyed Ms. Borlase's introductions to her songs; this musical affairs are seldomly pedagogical, but Ms. Borlase, who is a teacher for Trafford Music Service, makes easy-to-understand intros that are so enlightening and helpful that I do hope they were more popular amongst performers, though, of course, rare as it is to already meet a virtuoso, asking eloquence of them is a tall order on top of an even taller order.

Little can I say about the precise execution exhibited in this repertoire, which included chamber musical greats like Carl Reinecke and Frank Bridge; it was focused, of course, on pieces written for these two instruments. I guess all I have left is to thank these two artists for sharing their talents– getting to this level of mastery must take countless hours of sacrificial devotion. And if one is to be grateful, thanks are also in order to the Christ Church for organizing this event.

Speaking of which, I was surprised by Christ Church's acoustics; this hall's reverberations were even good enough to help the medium grand Yamaha sound better; seriously, I wouldn't have expected this hall to have such balanced reverberations, but I guess where the Lord resides, miracles are to be expected.

All in all, I can only recommend that if this duo ever graces Southport again, to not miss out. Soon most of us won't be able to afford a ticket if they start charging what they are really worth.


Imagen de J.L. Pérez Armijos