Review: Jessie-May Wilson & Marianne Yueyin Huang at Christ Church

Each time I head into Christ Church for an afternoon of music I think about the weather, and hope that next Wednesday it won't be as cold. But spring is not yet here.

Young musicians Jessie-May Wilson & Marianne Yueyin Huang, both from the Royal Northern College of Music, played today a flute & piano recital to delight of an audience of about 150 attendants; their repertoire was comprised (mostly) of romantic pieces, from Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach to York Bowen, through Chopin and Fauré.

Mses. Wilson and Huang, piano and flute, respectively, played for about one hour, and did a solo piece each: Ms. Wilson, after an amusing anecdote, did Soliloquy and Frolic by Bowen. Ms. Huang offered a very emotive interpretation of Chopin's Prelude in D-flat major (Op. 28 n.º 15), which, to me, was the highlight of the afternoon— and I also had pizza at Crave that day; to quote up-and-coming politician Palpatine, we'll watch Ms. Huang's career with great interest.

I do confess a weakness to the flute; it has such an elegant yet oneiric timbre that I find it difficult to be objective when it comes to a recital that features it. My other favourite instrument is the electric guitar, but that one is somehow not often used in classical music. I do wonder what our favourite instrument says about us: I remember that my father was very partial to the oboe, a questionable selection from an otherwise very reasonable man; so, cherished reader, I leave you to ponder if you too have a favourite instrument, and what that may say about you.